Monday, July 2, 2012

Miller Cash, 6 months

(Sorry, I know this is late.... its been sitting unfinished in my drafts folder waiting for pictures)


As of June 13th, Miller is 6 months old! As I type that I can't even believe it. I thought this second time around I'd be prepared for how fast time flies but every month still feels like a slap in the face. I love love love the baby stage and wish he'd stop growing up so fast!


I realized recently that things aren't just going smoothly with the kids, they're down right FUN. I look forward to my days being home all day with both the boys.  We have a routine, they can both entertain themselves for long periods of time, and they play and laugh together which really is the cutest thing ever. Its a piece of cake to throw them in the car and run errands. I'm just loving it.


At 6 months Miller can roll back to front, and front to back, and do it very quickly. If he wants to get to something, he'll roll and scoot until he has it in his chubby little hands. He can also push up on to his hands and knees, as well as sit up unassisted for long periods of time.


He's still exclusively nursing and drinking bottles of pumped milk, and we're not planning on starting solids any time soon. He's obviously not starving to death, and I love that I don't have to pack him food when we're going places. We started Marshall at 8 months our goal is somewhere in the 8-10 month range for Miller. Of course if it starts to seem like breastmilk isn't enough for him between now and then we'll re-evaluate. Right now he's going about 4 hours between feedings during the day which makes things easier on me since it's hard to feed him and keep an eye on Marshall at the park, museum, etc.


This last month he has FINALLY started tolerating baths somewhat, and spitting up way less frequently. Some days he'll go a few days between spitting up instead of requiring multiple outfit changes a day. He will also occasionally let me put him on the shower floor when I take a shower. That was a favorite of Marshall's at this age.


Most days he wakes up between 6 and 6:30, takes a 2 hour nap around 9 in  his crib, another 2 hour nap in the crib around 1 (Marshall naps at this time also so I have a few hours of "me time" which is nice), a 30 minute cat nap around 5, then goes down for the night between 7:30 and 9:30. Its usually much closer to 7:30 but sometimes dude just likes to party. Its like he doesn't want to miss out on anything.

He goes down very easy for his naps, usually I can lay him in the crib wide awake and rub his back a little, or sometimes he needs to be nursed or rocked for a few minutes.

He will not nap anywhere besides his crib or our bed if I lay in it with him. He also will NOT take a pacifier (and I've tried 6 brands), but does like to suck on muslin swaddling blankets. Only the muslin ones. Weirdo.


Night-time is a little more challenging. He won't let Jerad put him to sleep and will only go to sleep if I lay in bed and nurse him and then stay there for 15 min or so until he's really conked out. Sometimes I can move him to the playpen in our room, sometimes he wakes up and nurses again or needs to be rocked... and most the time I just give up and just stay in bed with him. During the night he nurses anywhere from 3-5 times but always goes right back to sleep. The first time he wakes I bring him in bed with us and he usually stays there until morning. He tosses and turns and stretches and flops so I feel like a walking zombie. I've tried putting him back in the playpen but he sleeps worse in there plus I have to keep getting in and out of bed so its more inconvenient and I'm not really getting any extra sleep.


People get So Hung Up on baby sleep issues, but honestly I don't care. I know it won't last forever and there are much worse things than a baby that has a need to be snuggled during the night. Seriously he is so happy and chill during the day it makes up for it. Well, if he's a bad sleeper as a toddler/preschooler/child I will care but I can let it slide for the first year or 2. Mostly I just wish that I wasn't the only one who can get him to sleep. It'd be nice if he'd let Jerad rock or walk him. Oh well... someday hopefully. Then again on the rare occasions that Marshall wakes up in the middle of the night, he only wants Jerad so I guess it evens out.


He loves putting everything (except pacifiers) in his mouth and is pretty drooly, but I still don't see any teeth coming in. Marshall got his first at 8 months, so we'll see. Speaking of putting things in his mouth, I have to really keep an eye on Marshall because he's made it his mission to "feed baby Miller." Besides the ball bearing he fed him around 3 months, he's also crammed bacon, a receipt, and lots of trucks into Miller's mouth (all of which I've immediately fished out). He also is always trying to share cups, drinks, and snacks. Hopefully he's this generous once Miller is old enough to actually have whatever he's trying to share? In the meantime I just have to watch them like a hawk and give Marshall lots of reminders which is probably why he mutters things like "No mouth. Not for Miller's mouth" to himself at night.


Miller is soo expressive. He makes a million different little faces and I just want to kiss every one. I think everyone does. Marshall was playing with him  on the floor a few days ago and said "Baby Miller is so cute. I have to kiss him. I just need to." I totally understand :)


He shakes his head "no" which is adorable. He discovered The Shrieking Sound recently which is not so adorable. I'm trying to ignore it and hope its a short phase.


Well, thats just about all I can think to say about Miller at 6 months. In short, he's happy, healthy, super cute, and super fun. Although I'm sad the time goes by so quickly, every month is always better than the last so I can't wait to see what next month brings!



Flashback: Marshall at 6 months

1 comment:

liz oelker said...

holy crap! he is JUST SOO CUTE!!! :)