Monday, August 23, 2010

I survived!

Sorry in advance for this sounding scatterbrained:

Today actually went much better than I was expecting. The 10.5 hours I spent at work didn't feel as long as I thought it would. Pumping 3 times during my shift sucks... a LOT. There is nothing convenient about pumping milk. All the bottles and parts to clean... transferring the milk to freezer bags, labeling it. UGH. Way easier to just pull out the boob and feed the baby. Not to mention that holding your baby is way better than dealing with the pump. Anyways, I pump after the last morning feeding (around 6:30am), then at my 10:00 break, lunch, and 3:00 break. By the time I'm done on my lunch break and have everything cleaned up and put away, I have about 5 minutes to eat. Oh well, it could be worse!

Marshall had a hard time. This was the longest he had ever been away from me. He was supposedly super happy and charming all day, but would.not.nap. Then when he got home he wanted to nurse.... for 2 hours straight. I kid you not. Every time I tried to set him down he would scream like he was dying. Finally he fell asleep and I was able to lay him on the couch, surrounded by my sweater that smelled like me, with a pillow wedged against his tummy where I had been laying. It worked just long enough for me to scarf down some food before he woke up screaming to be cuddled some more. Poor little guy. I'm sure it will get easier. We took turns lovin/snuggling/rocking him until he finally decided to fall asleep around 9pm. He is the sweetest, easiest baby... as long as he gets his sleep!

I'm surprised he wouldn't sleep because he has been a champion napper as of late. I used to have to nurse him to sleep in bed, then slowly sneak away. Or hold him. Or have him in the sling. That transitioned to me being able to put him down when he was asleep, to putting him down when he was super sleepy. Then in the last few weeks I've been able to lay him in his crib as soon as he looks tired, and he just falls asleep. Thats it! Sometimes he'll fuss a little bit and I just run his back until he konks out. And he'll stay out for 2-4 hours. Three times a day. Seriously, world's easiest baby. I hope him and my mom get it together soon because overtired babies are no fun.

We'll see how tomorrow goes!

No comments: