Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Waste Not

Every week when I go to the store, I clean out the fridge and end up throwing away a lot of stuff. Its frustrating! A lot of times there are leftovers that we would have eaten had we remembered they were in the fridge. We also forget about produce and it ends up not being as fresh as it could have been, or even worse, getting tossed out.

This is our new solution:

We write down all the leftovers, fruit, and veggies that are in the fridge. Instead of standing with the refrigerator door open trying to figure out what to eat or pack for lunch the next day, we can consult the board! When we use up something, we just cross it off.


Besides not wasting as much, we're also having yummier lunches. Usually we grab something that we've frozen, and this makes it easy to find a good pairing. For example yesterday Jerad was going to bring some baked fish and was able to look at the white board and decide that sliced tomatoes and mashed potatoes would be good sides. I made a sandwich out of the hummus and olive tapenade.

As long as we make it a habit to check the list, cross off things that we use, and add new leftovers/produce as it comes in, I think this will be an amazing help!

3 comments:

Morning Glory said...

I couldn't help but notice your Cut-Co on your kitchen counter. That's what we have too. I inherited my mom's set when she died. I sent it in to Cut-Co (it was about 30 + years old) and they cleaned them up and replaced or sharpened the blades for free! I did have to pay about 8-10 dollars for shipping. I love my set.

Steph said...

Yes, we love our Cut-Co knives! I'm getting ready to send a bunch in for sharpening too. I love that they guarantee them for ever, thats what made us decide to splurge:)

Christina said...

This is a GREAT idea! I agree, as long as you can keep up with the board . . . (;