Friday, May 3, 2013

Marshall Ford, Three Years

newborn

 I can't believe its been three years since Marshall entered our lives.

newborn

I've always loved kids and known I wanted to be a mom, but until he was born I had no idea just how fulfilling that would be and that it was possible to love one little person SO MUCH. I had no idea what an amazing dad Jerad would be and how watching them together would make me love him that much more.

newborn
 It is impossible to describe how much this sweet little nugget has enriched our lives and how much joy he's brought us in the past three years. Lets take a little trip down memory lane and marvel at how much he's grown:

6 months

6 months

6 months

1 year

1 year

1 year
18 months

18 months

18 months



2 years

2 years

2 years
I remember when he turned 2 last year he seemed like such a big boy to me. Now when I look back he still seems so little. I'm sure that's how I'll feel next year, and probably every year. 

3 years

3 years
At three years old Marshall can recognize most letters, count to twenty, knows all his colors, and talks like a 5 year old. He can follow complex directions like "can you go upstairs and get the blue shoes out of Miller's closet, and bring them to me?" He can be so helpful and for the most part is just a joy to be around.

He can also throw a tantrum with the best of them, but he's actually pretty good at naming his emotions and calming himself down. He'll say "I'm just having a rough day. I need to go sit down and take some breaths." When he's done having a fit, he'll usually say "mommy, I'm so sorry I was freaking out! I was just having a rough moment." Which cracks me up every time.

He's stubborn and good luck changing his mind once he's decided something.

He can mostly go to the bathroom alone now. He can go in, get the stool, turn on the light, move the stool to the toilet, pull down his pants, climb up and pee (which as of a few days ago he now will only do standing up), flush, put the seat down, move the stool to the sink, climb on the counter to turn on the water (the stool is too short for him to reach the faucets), get soap, wash and dry his hands, turn off the water. He has about a 75% success rate with getting his underwear and pants back on. He rarely rarely has accidents. He had a few while we were working in the back yard but I think it was because he was just SO excited about all the tractors he didn't want to peel himself away to pee. Besides that, I can't even remember the last time.

He knows the days of the weeks (and where we normally go on each day), months, and seasons. He knows all about uppercase and lower case letters and weird random things like how caterpillars turn into butterflys.

He can tell you what any piece of heavy macheniery is called, how it works, and what it's used for. He is also obsessed with trains.

He has a huuuuge vocabulary, and says things like "cooperate" "impressive" "concerned" "effort" and talks in 10+ word sentences, and is just FUNNY. Here are a few things he's said lately that I've shared on facebook:

---

-Marshall just told me that he can eat chocolate because he has tattoos on and if you have tattoos it means you can make good decisions.
-Jerad called Marshall "baby boy" and was promptly corrected with "um, I am NOT a baby boy. I'm JUST a friend."
-This morning Marshall came in our room and said "I think I need some daddy time." Jerad said "I need some Marshall time too!" Then Marshall said "sweet. we're gonna have some times."

-Marshall was talking about what street he lives on and Jerad told him "and your address is 2204." He got all indignant and said "2204 is NOT my address, it's JUST a miracle." Jerad: "a miracle!?!" Marshall: "yes a wonderful miracle."
-Marshall is always asking me to show him the baby in my belly and I always say we have to wait until she grows big and healthy for her to come out. Today he told me that I should put water on my belly and put it in the sun so baby sister can grow bigger. Apparently she's a plant.

-During dinner Miller was throwing his food from the high hair to the ground, so I told him "no throwing food." Marshall got all upset and told me "don't say that to my brother, that makes him sad! Only I tell him no then I shake my little head like this and he listens." Then he shook his head like a crazy person and pointed his finger at me to make sure I got the point. Sassy pants.

-Marshall has been extremely sassy and grumpy tonight. Jerad just told him "no more whining please, it's hurting my ears" and Marshall said/whined "I can't heeeeelp it. My name is Whiney Marshall. It's what I dooooo."

-Marshall: "dogs just love me. They kiss me and hug me and think I'm one yummy treat. Then I say okay 'dogs! give me some space. It's time to be a kid... I'm not a dog.' "

-I told Marshall and Miller as soon as Jerad gets home we're going to hit the road. Marshal informed me that I can NOT hit the road, that if I do it will make him sad, and hands are for helping not hitting. But I am allowed to gently touch the road.

-I took the kids on a 1-1.5 mile walk through the green belt by our house which is really hilly. Marshall kept begging me to carry him towards the end (which I didn't cause I was carrying Miller by that point). When we got home he threw himself on the lawn and said "I think that's the hardest thing that's ever happened to me." Dramatic much?

----

So yes, he's funny. And sassy.

He still loves being outside and anything to do with the water. Over the weekend we spend at least 4 hours outside each day, and usually much more. He loves books and recently has begun "reading" to Miller. 

Even though he's too rough with Miller and gets frustrated with him (usually over a toy), he also loves him so much. Every morning he runs into Miller's room to give him a hug, and gets upset when it's time for Miller to go to bed at night. He helps him up when he falls down and brings him toys when he's crying. They play so well together and it melts my heart a little. 


Marshall is also so excited to meet his baby sister soon. When I was pregnant with Miller, he was too little to "get it" and in some ways he still is... but he understands that there is a baby girl growing in my belly or uterus as he says sometimes), and when she's big and strong she'll come out. He rubs and talks to my stomach and like to feel her kick. Even though he sees lots of babies at friend's houses and playdates, and knows that newborns don't talk and walk, he is convinced that HIS baby sister will have a button you press that makes her talk, and if she can't walk, she'll probably hop a little.

No idea where any of that came from.

He's a huge daddy's boy and wants to work on or do whatever Jerad is doing. A few days ago he insisted on changing his shoes and wear black shoes to match him. He insists on Jerad being the one to get him his water and walk him upstairs for bed at night. He loooooves his daddy!

So, that's Marshall in a nutshell. On the one hand I can't believe that he's THREE already, but on the other it seems like he's been a part of our lives for So Much Longer. 

Happy birthday little guy, we love you to pieces.



No comments: