Saturday, December 4, 2010

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving this year was a bit of a whirlwind. We made a bunch of pies and then spent the day with Jerad's family.


We only took pictures of the pies and nothing else, oops. If anyone got a pic of Marsh and wanted to send it to me, that'd be great.

So, pies. Pies are kind of our thing. Besides the 5 we made for Thanksgiving dinner, we made another 2 for a co-worker. I think it was last year that we made 16? Anyways, we heart pies in a major way. You name it, we'll make it. This year we made:





Pecan
(this is my fav pecan pic recipe. No corn syrup! We also added a little bit of chocolate chips on the bottom crust, and 1/4 brandy. Delish)




Apple
(my own recipe that changes depending on my mood)


This is the recipe we used for the crusts.

We were planning on visiting my grandma and grandpa in Arizona and decided the easiest way would be to leave that night, right after dinner. I was pretty nervous driving that far with Marshall. We've done a few trips to San Diego, San Fransisco, San Ramon, and Palo Alto, but for most of them he was younger and slept longer stretches. My grandparents aren't in the best health and haven't gotten to meet Marsh yet so we decided to just go for it. We left around 7:00pm and drove to Cathedral City (Palm Springs Area). My grandma owns a house there and it is about half way to where she is in Arizona so spending the night there makes the trip much easier. The drive took around 6 hours and Marshall slept the whole time. Score.

Friday Marshall and I hung out and watched movies (bad mommy!) while Jerad worked on work stuff and we waited for the rest of my family to arrive. Everyone got there by 5 and we went out to dinner. Saturday we left sometime between 8 and 9 am and drove to Chandler AZ (Phoenix suburb). We hit a little traffic and that drive took around 6 hours as well. Marshall got a little impatient but for the most part was fine.

My grandma was soooo excited to see the baby, it was 110% worth it.


She had a stroke a few years ago and can have pretty crazy mood swings. Loud noises set her off sometimes so I was praying that Marshall would be good and not cry. He was quite the charmer! He flirted and giggled and let her hold him. Then we went and visited my grandpa in the Alzheimer facility he lives in. That's always hard. This is the 4th time we've visited him there and the first time I haven't ended up crying when we leave.

After we left, we went to dinner with my parents, sisters, uncle, and grandma. Marshall was a trooper however he refused to take a nap. He woke up about 2 hours before we got to Chandler and stayed away for the whole visit. He ended up being up for 8 hours, the longest stretch ever. After dinner we drove back to Cathedral City.

That was probably the longest 6 hours of my life. Marsh screamed the ENTIRE way back. It was awful. He was so upset it was like his carseat was filled with needles. I thought he was going to pass out. We stopped probably 6 times on the way back. The second I'd lift him out of his seat he'd be fine. Between having already driven 6 hours and being awake for 8 hours he was just not feelin the drive. He was also teething. I have lots of homeopathic remedies that probably would have helped, but I left them all in our suitcase. Major Fail.

Somehow we all made it back alive (poor Addy had decided to ride in our car and wanted to jump out the window about 40 minutes into the drive) and got to sleep. The next morning we packed up and headed home. After the previous night's driving fiasco I was dreading the trip home but it went well. We stopped at an Ikea and bought a few things including a 1st B-day present for Marshall so at least we're covered there.

I'm so glad we got to see my grandparents and they got to meet Marshall. And besides the 6 hours of screaming hell, he was a little angel:)

We got back Sunday night and Jerad had to turn around and leave at 3am and drive to San Diego for a installation job there. It ended up taking longer than planned and he didn't get back till Thursday night. So he worked like crazy and I got to be a single mom for 4 days. We were both a little tired come Friday. Luckily we're having a low key weekend to recoup a little, phew!

No comments: