Monday, April 6, 2009

I'm finally waking up...

... its 2:00 in the afternoon. I've been at work since 7am, but I'm just now waking up. Oh internet, we had a busy weekend! I'll post pictures and what not later, but gosh it was fun!

Spending the weekend away together made me so thankful for Jerad. Not in an ooey gooey "I can't imagine my life without him, he completes me in every way, for the rest of our lives everything will be roses. And rainbows. Maybe some unicorns?"

Cause honestly, I could live without him. And he could live without me. Our very existences are not dependent on each other. I know that he doesn't "complete me," because I am completely my own person who is capable of taking charge and care of my own life. Also we've been dating 3yrs and 4 months now and I have yet to see a single flippin unicorn.

However, although I'm sure we could both go on to live happy, healthy, full lives without each other... why in the world would we EVER want to? This weekend I was reminded how much FUN we are together, and can have together. There is nothing as therapeutic as being trapped in a car for 7 hours with no distractions.

We made fun of each other, sang loudly, made a million plans and just got to be GOOFY. Which is nice, because in our "real lives" there just isn't enough time for that.

I LOVE how we have known each other for so long. I am so thankful that we got to be friends for 7 years before we started dating. We got to see each other grow up. Literally. I have known Jerad since I was 13 years old, and been friends with him since I was 14. Its so nice to be driving down the road and point out a Borders that I helped remodel when I was 19 and him to remember me doing it. Or pass an exit and say "that's where Jane lives!" and him to know just who Jane is even though we haven't spoken in three years.

It is such a relief to be with someone who has seen me at the happiest, saddest, angriest, hurtest (yes that's a word:), at the best and worst times in my life and who just.gets.me.

Someone who gets me enough to know how much more excited I would be to get a Kitchenaid for Valentines Day than a pair of diamond earrings. Someone who knows I would rather camp than stay in a hotel if possible, and who likes camping even more than I do (good thing too cause one of us need to be able to build fires and work lantern, and its not me!). Someone who doesn't care when I randomly go get a foster dog. Twice. And then decide to keep one. Someone who can consider a "date" taking our dogs to the beach and watching them play. Because really, it doesn't get any better than that.

So, we might not be all huggy/kissy/licky faced all the time(although that has been known to happen), but I am dating my best friend. And he kind of likes me too. How cool is that?

*disclaimer: I'm not trying to say just because I'm dating my best friend everything is 24/7 peachy. Jerad is known on many occasions to be an asshat. And I can be quite the bitch occasionally not 100% perfect girlfriend myself.

No comments: