Salad with beet greens, red leaf lettuce, spinach, cilantro, yellow squash, feta cheese, olive oil and balsamic vinegar:
Beets and enchilada:
- 1-2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 organic white onion, chopped
- 5 cloves organic garlic, minced (you might want to adjust this down if you aren't garlic ppl)
- 4 tsp cumin seed (if you don't normally cook with cumin seed then substitute 1 tsp, or 1 tbs of the powder)
- 2 Tbs unbleached organic four
- 4 good sized beets, peeled and and shopped into one inch cubes
- 2 tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped (I used canned organic tomatoes because that was what I had)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
2. Stir in beets, tomatoes, water, and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover pan with lid, and allow to simmer 30 to 45 minutes, until beets are tender. Yes, it really does take this long.
This is a good dish to serve over rice. Be prepared to have red hands.
As weird as it sounds, beets steamed with apples and cinnamon are also pretty delish over ice cream or sorbet. They have a very sweet flavor alot of people make beet cakes and jam.