Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I think I'm in Heaven...


A few weeks ago I disclosed my absolute obsession love of PBR. At the time my friend Becky commented that it would be nice to see Colby Yates play guitar and I mentioned that I would like to see Justin McBride who also plays guitar (stay with me, they are both bull riders).

It should come as no surprise to you that I read the PBR blog. So, picture me opening this post today:

Past PBR Champs Make Appearance at Paso Robles Film Festival!!

2005 & 2007 PBR World Champion Justin McBride and 1997 World Champ Michael Gaffney will be in attendance at the first annual Paso Robles Digital Film Festival. On Friday, November 21 at 5 p.m., the documentary, "This Is Not A Rodeo!" will screen at the Paso Robles Inn Ballroom. The film, produced by Joe Loverro and Erik McMichael, chronicles the story of the 20 bull riders who broke away from professional rodeo in 1992 to form the Professional Bull Riders. Loverro has produced the PBR on VERSUS and NBC for the past 5 years and has produced several other major sporting events like the Tour de France.
Also attending the screening will be PBR Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Randy Bernard and World Champion cowboy Larry Mahan. Tickets for the screening are $23 in advance and $30 at the door. The "Pioneer Troubadour Guitar Pull" will be held immediately following the screening at Martin & Weyrich Winery with a concert by Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Norm Stephens, and will feature a special guest appearance by McBride. Tickets for the concert are $45 in advance and $50 at the door. For more information on the screening and the concert, please visit www.pasoroblesfilmfestival.com .

*****

Eff me! There were no words. Hyperventilation began. Then I realize "Oh crap oh crap oh crap!" November 21st Jerad got us a room at Sycamore Mineral Springs in Avilla (about 40 minutes from Paso) and made all sorts of romantic plans since my company was paying for us to stay the next night as part of our Christmas party. That way we could have a little mini vay-cay instead of just one night...

How could I do this? Well, its around our anniversary... I know he would be stoked too... especially about the concert. Lets make a quick recap:
Ramblin' Jack Elliott- Mentored by Woody Guthrie. Huge influence on Bob Dylan, featured in many of his songs.

Norm Stephens- Played guitar for Merle Haggard. Huge influence on country stars like Randy Travis and George Strait.

Justin McBride- Eye Candy. Jk. He's actually really good.

Also appearing:
Ronee Blakley, Louie Ortega, Larry Mahan, Gary Leffew, JACK TEMPCHIN & FRIENDS with Very Special Guest BURN DOWN THE BARN

You can google them all if you care to know more.

Jerad would be STOKED if I bought tickets to the film showing and then hoedown afterwards... But what if he already had plans for us? I went around and around. Beth and Jules made me feel really guilty... and by "really guilty" I mean for a second I paused... but HELLO, Justin just retired... its not like I am ever going to see him again!



So, I called Jerad and asked him if we had any specific plans for that night.

He said he wasn't sure yet.

I asked if it would be alright for me to surprise him with something for a few hours.

He sounded intrigued and said yes.

I asked if he was suuuuure I wouldn't be messing anything up...

He said "noandI'minameetingandactuallyneedtogo."

So, Score right? Right?

Then, after all of that I realized that I'm an idiot. The Paso Film Festival is in NOVEMBER. Our Anniversary and Christmas Party... yeah, DECEMBER.

The good news is that I'm def not messing with any prexisting plans now. And we won't be driving from Avilla to Paso back to Avilla and wasting precious hotel time... come on, there's hot tubs in all the rooms!

The bad news is... now I have $160 worth of tickets that it will be a pretty big stretch to count as an anniversary present now that we are celebrating the week after our anniversary instead of the week before. Then again, he can deal, its a pretty kick ass present. Maybe I'll do that and then something smaller later? Something bomb ass from NY? Since its right before Christmas I don't want to be crazy crazy.

Anyways, Phew, lucked out... and YES IM SO EXCITED AND ITS THIS FRIDAY!!!!!

Except as I typed that I remembered another problem... Jerad was maybe working in Bakersfield this weekend. Oops. It would be over $1000 so he can't skip it if it works out.

If that happens, who wants to go with me? I have two tickets now... Jerad will pay for us to have a good time. A PBR fan would be nice. Or Justin McBride fellow obsesser.

Tina: yes to what you are thinking right now, you should sooo drive down for this...


5 comments:

Becky said...

Justin,here,in Paso? I'm dying to go! Shoot,I've only got a day to decide...hmm. Wish I had somebody that I could drag along with me...maybe you'll see me there tomorrow night,if I'm not too chicken to go by myself!

Steph said...

Yeah I am STOKED!!!! Jerad ended up being able to make it too:) Find somebody to go or get brave and go by yourself and sit with us!

Becky said...

Awesome,I'm so glad that worked out for y'all! Yeah,I've been racking my brains for somebody to take,but I'm the only one with a crazy Justin McBride addiction. So,we'll see what happens,if I'm not too wiped out from work tomorrow night you might see me:). Hey,you guys oughta come with us one of these Saturday nights,we've been going to The Ranch in San Miguel and having a blast enjoying the live music and dancing. We're always there at about seven. See ya later!

Steph said...

I have really been wanting to go there, I've heard good things!

I want to get back to Dance lessons too, Jerad's work has just been too crazy. Hopefully in December!

Becky said...

Heh,I totally understand the crazy work schedule thing! We've hit The Ranch several times,and thoroughly enjoyed their gorgeous wood floors. They've got live music from 9-10 on Saturdays(not sure about other nights) and music before,you're also welcome to bring your own cd's or MP3 player if you so desire. Their menu was pretty limited when I was there a couple weeks ago because they're just getting rolling,but I thought they were affordably priced,and the food was good. So,if you're ever free on a Sat eve,you know where to come hang:)