Monday, May 19, 2008

Thursday Doctor's Apt.

Oh yeah, my follow up apt. Well, my heart is not exploding and I am fine... as far as the EKG goes.

My blood tests still show that my blood glucose is low. Very low. Which pisses me off. I ate at 11pm the night before I tested, which I never do hoping it would be higher this time... I have always had low blood sugar problems but the thought of developing diabetes later is not pleasant. I eat very little sugar now, and am supposed to just start eating smaller, more frequent meals and protein with every meal. No prob. Except that I don't like meat. I like cheese beans and nuts though. And I do like meat... just not multiple times a day... or really even every day. My blood potassium has gotten a little better since I've been taking the supplements but still low considering how much I am taking, and they are time released so my levels should be consistent... hmm

I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Finally. This explains soooo much. I have had thyroid problems forevah and so many doctors have heard my symptoms but then shooed me away when they get my blood results back because I don't test "low enough." Well, as many as 25% of patients with hypothyroidism have normal levels of T3. And my levels are almost where most doctors would begin to treat also... so very frustrating. A study published earlier this year concluded that 13 million Americans have undiagnosed thyroid disease. Most traditionally based physicians have long abandoned their physical examination and diagnosis skills and appear unwilling to believe that patients who complain of all the classic hypothyroid symptoms are in fact truly hypothyroid if their TSH is normal. They would rather believe a lab test than the patient sitting in front of them.

I'm not going to go on and on about thyroids, but my doctor prescribed a natural hormone, Armour, instead of the Synthetic which is what all doctors normally push. The problem with the synthetic is they are only T4 which some people cannot convert into T3. Doctors insist that this is not true. . The natural is T1, T2, T3, and T4. So.... clearly has a better chance of your body processing.

Hopefully soon, no more being tired all the time during the day, then insomnia at night, no more muscle pain all the time, no more hair always coming out, no more freezing hands and feet, and no more needing a blanket when it is 78 degrees. My quality of life is going to be bunches better.

While I was in the office and describing some other things that have going on long term and were getting worse lately, the Dr. asked me if I was suffering from depression. I kind of laughed and told her no I wasn't, and she told me that every symptom I listed was depression. I explained that I wasn't sad, and if anything I would think I had an anxiety disorder. She said that "being sad" is not always a sign of depression and anxiety and depression often overlap.

She asked me if I'd had any major stressful changes in my life in the past few years since the symptoms had started. I told her no, nothing I could think of, she said it could be something as like moving, losing a relative...

Haha well....
I lost 2 grandparents that I was VERY close to.
My cousins that I was also close with moved out of state and I never talk to them now.
3 of my best friends moved away
My other 2 grandparents have had numerous strokes and memory loss.
My grandpa has been diagnosed with dementia.
I went through a divorce that ended a 7.5 year relationship.
Money problems.
In-law problems.
Job problems.
Ex problems.
Money problems.
In-law problems.
Job problems.
Ex problems.
I left a job I loved.
I moved 4 times in 3 months.
I went through a miscarriage.
I've been dating someone for 2.5 years who doesn't want to get married.
All these health issues.

I guess there are a few things that could cause some depression and anxiety issues. When I feel "out of it" I always think my life is good now, snap out of it... but its not that easy. Because this is a situational type depression (albeit very compounded) it is something that should be relatively short term... we are taking it a month at a time, this is going to be something short term... we just have to see how short term. So I am taking a low dose of Wellbutrin now as well. Obviously I am not able to manage this on my own. Its just too much.

Beth asked me if I was just freaking out about all this. Honestly, I am pretty indifferent. I really researched everything first. I am excited about feeling better. I am amazed at how nice it has been not having a headache in the last 2 months. Once my thyroid starts working and I get out of this depression fog and calm down this anxiety non sense I can go back to being my happy healthy self. Yeay me. And, I'm really not having any side effects anymore either. I just started the wellbutrin and from what I read it seems like about 30% of people get super dizzy which does not seem fun but so far no probs with that:)

No comments: